Thursday, June 6, 2013

OM12 Web Console: Where Are My Alerts?!

Bumped into this issue.

What?
The OM12 Web Console didn’t show some particular Critical Alerts. And no matter what I did nor tried the issue remained the same. Somehow the OM12 Web Console simply ‘refused’ to show some Critical Alerts which were neatly shown in the OM12 Console…

Why?
So I contacted my MVP buddies and soon I got a solid question: ‘Are those Alerts older then 7 days?’. BINGO! By default the OM12 Web Console shows only Alerts which are less then 7 days old. And the Alerts which weren’t shown were older then 7 days!

How it was solved
After a quick reconfiguration of the related web.config file (open it from an elevated cmd-prompt!) used by the OM12 Web Console (located in ~:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\WebConsole\MonitoringView) based on this posting.

In this case I added this entry: <add key="AlertsDaysBefore" value="24" />, as shown here:
image

I saved the file and ran an IIS reset from an elevated cmd-prompt.

Afterwards everything was just fine and the Alerts showed in the OM12 Web Console!

Recap
Even though the OM12 Web Console doesn’t deliver the same functionality as the full blown OM12 Console, it still servers many purposes. Also good to know is that the OM12 Web Console can be modified in its behavior. This posting, eventhough aimed at SCOM 2007 R2, works on many occasions with the OM12 Web Console as well.

NEVER EVER FORGET TO MAKE A COPY OF THE WEB.CONFIG FILE BEFORE MAKING ANY MODIFICATIONS. SO THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY BACK!

A BIG word of thanks to my MVP buddies for helping me out here. Thanks guys!

No comments: